Thursday 15 September 2011

Florence

After this post I'll finally be caught up with my adventures so far.  Hopefully Rome has some reliable internet so I don't fall so far behind again.

When we left Venice on the train last Friday I was expecting to spend the afternoon resting and recovering from the moving day and maybe leisurely exploring the city of Florence.  It turned out, with the way the train tickets work, that we could go anywhere we wanted to for free since the tickets were activated for the day.  So of course I wanted to take advantage of that.  A group and I decided to go to Pisa for the afternoon.  Just after dragging our suitcases the long distance to our hotel we ran back to the train station and barely made it on the next train to Pisa, about 1.5 hours away.  We spent the afternoon exploring and took a train back to Florence later that night.

The funniest part is looking down the lawn and seeing everyones arms in the air.  It's so dorky but I had to do it.




Since the trip to Pisa wasn't exhausting enough, I decided to join a group that was going the Cinque Terra the next morning.  Cinque Terra is a string of towns along the coast of Italy.  It's about a 3 hour train ride from Florence and it was well worth it!  It was so nice to get out of the cities and spend some time hiking along the Mediterranean.  



The rest of the week was packed full of running around Florence, looking at art in churches and museums and squares.  There is so much here in the birthplace of the renaissance.

 The view from Piazza Michaelangelo overlooking the city:

The sunset was amazing

This afternoon was a free day so my roommates and I decided to climb to the top of the Duomo (the dome) of the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore. 

 463 steps up a tiny spiral staircase later and the view was gorgeous.


We leave for Rome early tomorrow morning.  I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment