Tuesday 18 October 2011

Paris!

I am happy to say that I have now been settled in Paris for nearly 3 weeks.  I do miss the traveling a little bit, but Paris more than makes up for it.  And I know I certainly don't miss carrying my luggage.

My home for the next month and a half is FIAP, a short term housing place here in Paris mostly filled with international students and business groups.  The room is small, but my roommate and I have definitely made the most of it by hanging up the many postcards we've collected from the places we've been.

One nice thing about finally settling into one location is the fact that we now have days a bit more structured.  On Mondays and Tuesdays we have life drawing and painting classes with Kathy Burke, a local artist.  As an art history student (not studio arts, as most students on this trip are), both classes are challenging but I've really learned a lot and am definitely enjoying them.  Wednesdays and Thursdays we have two literature classes, photo and art history.  These classes are followed by lunch and then we go out as a class to see something in the city like a museum or a church or just a walking tour of a particular area.  Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays we have off to enjoy the city as we please.

I don't really know how to recap my time the past few weeks, but suffice it to say that it has been incredible.  Everything (from seeing the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower to concerts at the Louvre to Versailles to just walking around the city) has been an amazing experience.

Just because the class is finished with traveling doesn't mean that I am.  Some friends and I are planning a long weekend in Berlin this week.  I've enjoyed both of my other (short) stays in Germany so I'm rather excited to actually spend more than a few hours there.  I'll update on that of course, and hopefully with more timeliness than my usual posting.


The Seine

The Pyramid at the Louvre.  As you can see we've had cloudy fall weather.

 Some old grave stones at Montparnasse Cemetery.

In the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles.

Marie Antoinette's cottage on the grounds of Versailles

Champagne on top of the Eiffel Tower for a friend's birthday.

The view from the top.

The results of today's painting class.

No comments:

Post a Comment